7" LCD Touch Panel ComputerLifecycle: Fully Developed | Released: April 2009 | RoHS Compliant
7-inch Color TFT-LCD panel with TouchScreen Interface
- 7" TFT-LCD touch panel with WVGA video core
- Dedicated 8MB RAM Framebuffer
- Rugged aluminum frame ideal for mounting to cabinet or wall
- Software library support for embedded video/touchscreen applications
- Expansion bus for daughter cards
No minimum order quantity on standard products.
The TS-7395 is a compact full-featured Single Board Computer (SBC) based upon the Cirrus EP9302 200MHz Arm9™-based CPU, which provides a standard set of on-board peripherals. This product features an on-board FPGA with a dedicated 8MB RAM Framebuffer and a 800x480 video core integrated with a 7-inch Color TFT-LCD panel with TouchScreen Interface, as shown by the TS-TPC-7395 product pictures. The TS-7395 boots Linux2.6 out-of-the-box from on-board NAND flash or an SD Card and the included Debian Linux distribution provides driver and software library support for embedded video/touchscreen applications.
TS-7395 vs TS-7390
The TS-7395 engine for the TS-TPC-7395 was designed to address some design issues presented by the TS-7390, specifically regarding the orientation of the USB and Ethernet connectors. In order to facilitate the mounting of the TS-TPC-7395, the TS-7395 ethernet connector is rotated 90 degrees so the cable does not exit at board edge and the USB connector is now a vertical type. Also, the TS-7395 has only a single ethernet port (instead of 2). However, in terms of software, both products are identical.
The TS-TPC-7395 is a low-cost, industrial-grade WVGA touchscreen computer with audio codec, speaker, and silver bezel. Utilizing a low-power EP9302 Arm9-based CPU, it requires no fans or heat-sinks. Reliability is enhanced through entirely solid-state operation with no moving parts. The rugged aluminum support elegantly frames the 7-inch TFT LCD, making an ideal solution for mounting on a wall or cabinet. The computer unit is mounted to the back of the panel, providing access to a wide variety of connectors including 1 10/100BASE-T Ethernet port, 2 full-speed USB ports, DIO and serial ports. The unit runs Debian Linux 2.6 and Debian Sarge out of the box and is suitable for a wide range of HMI-type and simple GUI applications.
The TS-7395 Engine
The TS-7395 single board computer powers the TS-TPC-7395 Touch Panel Computer. The TS-7395 features a multi-purpose 200MHz Arm9-based CPU. It allows development of multi-function embedded applications through its multiple peripheral interfaces, which include on-board RAM, NAND flash, 1 10/100 ethernet port, dual USB 2.0 host, serial ports, SD Card socket, A/D channels, digital I/O lines, temperature sensor, real time clock, audio codec and speaker, video framebuffer, touchscreen and LCD video interfaces.
The 40-pin header provides the following features:
- SPI Bus
- 4 12-bit ADC
- 6 Latched Outputs
- 7 Buffered Inputs
- 3 Digital Inputs/Outputs
- 1 Console COM Port (requires TS-9445 mini-peripheral for RS-232 levels)
- External Reset, Power, Ground, Frame and JTAG signals
The default load for the 5K LUT LatticeXP2 FPGA provides additional peripherals, such as SD Card socket, extra serial ports and a 800x480 Color TFT-LCD video core. In addition, the FPGA provides an 8-bit multiplexed expansion bus for inclusion of application-specific daughter cards, with the connector pins connected straight to the FPGA.
The TS-7395 engine is extremely rugged and reliable. Temperature operation is fanless and range is industrial standard at lower CPU speeds. The LCD is rated for storage temperature range of -30 to +80 degrees Celsius. The operating range is -20 to +70 degrees Celsius. Power input range is flexible from 5VDC to 28VDC. The power supply for the LCD and the LCD back-light are controlled via software.
The TS-7395 provides multiple COM ports using both TTL (2 total) and RS-232 levels (4 total). Two optional RS-485 ports are also available with DMX/RDM support. The EP9302 processor provides two COM ports (TTL Console at the JTAG header and RS-232 at COM1 header). The remaining COM ports are provided by the FPGA through the proprietary TS-UART core and are 9-bit serial capable.
LCD-Ready Embedded Computers
The TS-7395 is designed specifically as the engine for the TS-TPC-7395. The connectors are not general purpose and will not work with most LCDs, so we do not generally sell the TS-7395 as a stand alone board. If you have an interest in using the TS-7395 in your project, please call us for information about pricing or product customization. Also, for customers looking for a custom SBC solution for their LCD+TouchScreen interfaces of choice, we recommend customization of the TS-7350/TS-7370 LCD-Ready FPGA computers. Contact embeddedTS should you need more information about custom LCD FPGA designs or assistance with LCD integration.
The TS-7395 SBC engine boots to Linux 2.6 from an SD Card using the proprietary TS-SDBOOT bootup firmware residing in FPGA ROM memory in about one second, depending on the SD Card speed and brand. The board can also boot from on-board NAND flash using the TS-NANDBOOT firmware in about the same time. The state of jumper 1 (JP1) controls whether the board boot from NAND or SD.
A valid bootable media (SD Card or NAND flash) must contain a Linux Kernel image, a initial ram disk image and a valid Linux root filesystem. The ultra-fast Linux bootup solution was optimized for speed and includes kernel, initrd and filesystem (Busybox) tweaks. Since this board boots to an initrd (initial ram disk) with a read-only mounted filesystem, it is possible to have something other than a shell prompt running after bootup by editing the /linuxrc shell script on the initrd. Additional TS-7395 software features include:
- Boots Linux out-of-the-box in about one second (to shell prompt, depending on SD card used).
- SD card/NAND flash pre-installed with standard Debian Linux distribution.
- Startup Linux mini-root scripts allows flexible root and backup filesystem selection (SD, NAND, NFS, USB flash) as well as software field upgrade support.
- Linux "bootload" program allows booting of Linux kernels and other OS's from within Linux itself.
- Includes FrameBuffer, Video, TouchScreen, Mouse and Keyboard Linux drivers.
- GUI application development through X Windows Systems (Xorg-Xserver).
- Other GUI library packages possible/provided.
embeddedTS has partnered with a third-party vendor to provide anti-microbial, shock-absorbing, and super scratch-resistant film overlays. These films also protect screens from scratches, dirt, and abrasion. If interested, inquire with sales for more information and learn how to obtain a sample.
Bootloader Un-brickable Design
The TS-7395 bootstrap combines FPGA hardware logic, specific boot-up firmware and Kernel tweaks to ensure fast boot time, security, and high board recoverability:
- Linux-based bootloader boots Linux 2.6 kernel to shell prompt in about one second from SD card or onboard flash. A Linux bootload utility is available to boot any other Kernel or Operation System image from Linux shell prompt.
- Un-brickable design ensures 100% recoverability from SD card in case of onboard flash erasure.
- Full Debian linux can be installed on on-board Flash from a USB flash dongle or SD Card, eliminating the need to use miniaturized niche embedded Linux distributions or blast/boot boards.
- SD card security features can be utilized for boot medium verification or booting of locked SD cards.
Linux 2.6 and Debian Linux
embeddedTS TS-7395 Single Board Computer (SBC) are compatible with a wide range of Operating Systems (OS's). The Linux choice is highly recommended and our products are totally integrated with the open-source vision. The boards ships with Linux 2.6 Kernel running out-of-the-box. They are the first embeddedTS EP9302 Arm9-based computers which use 2.6 Kernel by default. Linux Kernel includes complete driver support for on-board hardware, enabling quick time to market of end-users applications. Examples and source codes are also available for downloading.
The TS-7395 SBCs are configured to load the Debian Linux OS from either the on-board flash or a SD Card during boot up time. The full featured Debian Linux (version Etch) distribution includes a complete GNU C/C++ embedded development environment installed. In addition, Apache Web Server, FTP, SSH, Telnet and other network services are available with C/PHP for embedded CGI development. Custom Linux GUI applications can be developed using X Windows (Xorg-Xserver included) or QtEmbedded libraries (available for download).
Please contact embeddedTS for further information regarding Operating System and software support for this product.
Detailed Feature List
- Powered by TS-7395 engine
- 7-inch Color LCD w/ Aluminum Frame
- 800cd/m^2 (nits) typical brightness
- 5K LUT FPGA
- 200MHz Arm9-based CPU w/ 64MB SDRAM
- 512MB NAND Flash with Debian Linux
- 8MB Dedicated Framebuffer video core
- 800x480 TFT-LCD core w/ video out
- Expansion bus for daughter cards
- 4-wire Resistive Touch-Screen
- 2 USB 2.0 (12Mbit/s max)
- 1 SD Card slot (up to 6MB/s DMA)
- 3 RS-232, 2 RS-485, 1 TTL COM ports
- 40-pin header with ADC, SPI, DIO...
- Industrial Quality Design
- Boots Linux 2.6 in about 1 second
- Unbrickable, boots from SD or NAND
- Runs X Windows GUI applications
- Audio Speaker
embeddedTS provides complete documentation for our mature products, including manuals, schematics, mechanical drawings, etc. The most recent documentation files are always made available through our website. If you don't find the documentation you are looking for, contact support for more information. Also, please make sure to visit our Embedded Systems Support webpage, and our official documentation.
Third Party Documentation
- 7-inch TFT-LCD Datasheet (OKAYA)
- 7-inch TFT-LCD Datasheet (OSD - Obsolete)
- 7-inch TFT-LCD Datasheet 800 nit (OKAYA)
- Hantronix HDA700LT-1H Datasheet
- Okaya RV800480T-7x0WQ-A2 Datasheet
From the Blog:
|CPU Speed||200 MHz|
|CPU Cores (Max)||1x|
|Base Memory Capacity||64 MB|
|Maximum Memory Capacity||128 MB|
|FPGA||5 k LUT|
|Base Flash Capacity||512 MB|
|Full Sized SD Card Socket||1x|
|Battery-Backed Real Time Clock||1x|
|General-Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) Pins||28x|
|Analog to Digital Ports (ADC)||4x|
|USB Host Ports||2x|
|10/100 Ethernet Ports||1x|
|Operating Supply Voltage||5 VDC to 28 VDC|
|Maximum Power Consumption||7.00 W|
|Fanless Temperature Range||-20 °C to 70 °C|
|Graphics / HMI|
|Screen Diagonal Size||7"|
|Linux Kernel Version||2.6|
|Debian Linux||Sarge (3.1)|
|Busybox Small Distribution||Yes|
In Board Specific Peripherals
Console Mini-Peripheral Board w/ 1 RC-DB9 cable
|TS-TPC-7395-128-512F||TS-TPC-7395 Touch Panel Computer powered by TS-7395 computer with 128MB RAM and 512MB Flash||Pricing|
|Board Specific Peripherals|
|TS-9445-RC-DB9||Console Mini-Peripheral Board w/ 1 RC-DB9 cable||$58|
|SD-16GB-LCDR||LCD-READY bootable 16GB SD card pre-installed with Debian Linux for Arm, Xorg and full tool chain (supports TS-7350, TS-7370, TS-7390, TS-7395)||$36|
|SD-16GB-USB-LCDR||TS-LCD-READY bootable 16GB SD card with USB reader interface including recovery mechanism, out-of-the-box ECLIPSE IDE with debugging, Arm tool chain, Debian filesystem, Xorg, documentation and further binaries/utilities (supports TS-7350, TS-7370, TS-7390||$81|
|PS-5VDC-REG-2P1||Regulated 5 VDC, 2.5 A wall mounted power supply with 2 pin black screw terminal connector (100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz, A-type Plug)||$24|
|LCD7-STAND||Desktop metal support to mount a 7-inch TFT-LCD panel||$37|